FC backup policy was Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Mon Dec 8 18:32:42 UTC 2003

Jesse Keating wrote:
> I would like to see mondo rescue included
> (http://www.mondorescue.org)
> as well as it's tool chain (mindi, afio, buffer, lzo, lzop)

As I've said in other forums. I think any attempt at providing the
average user with an intuitive backup solution as a core feature is a
step in the right direction.  In my mind, the second most important
admin policy(behind security issues like the firewall) someone has to
face when admining their own little box is a reasonable data backup
policy.  I think it would be a mighty good thing for there to be a
reasonably intuitive backup tool in place in Fedora Core, to help
end-user hobbyists who are admining their own machines.  Hell I'd even
go so far as telling people about it via
the graphical 'adverts' in the installer and then again when first boot
runs to encourage them to use the backup tool as soon as possible to
implement a backup scheme. Fedora Core of course can't
force people to follow good backup policy (nor security policy). But I
think there is room here to have Core suggest and encourage users to
think about backups by providing a reasonably intuitive way to interact
with a backup tool.  Mondo stands on its own merits as a comprehensive
recovery solution for skilled users. But I would like to see some effort
made to have Fedora Core encourage even the mundane users to setup some
backup scheme, whether the tool of choice is Mondo or some other not so
obvious choice.

-jef