Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Trae McCombs occy at occy.net
Mon Dec 8 20:17:13 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 14:40, Philip Wyett wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 19:18, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 19:06, Philip Wyett wrote:
> > > 4. Removal of KDE. Ok, this ain't likely, but I'd personally like to
> > >    see it go in favour of making the distro richer tool wise and still 3
> > >    binary CD's.
> >
> > Why not GNOME? I prefer KDE.
> > Just seriously, I think both *must* be included.
> >

> Well... other than I prefer Gnome, there is no reason at all why Gnome
> should not be the one to go. My real point is I think we are reaching a
> point of critical mass (or soon will) with the larger Window Managers,
> their apps and for the sake of distro size and to allow additional much
> needed tools in - one may have to go.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this one... But here goes.

1st idea: Make Fedora strictly GNOME based.

2nd idea: Have two different ISO bases for GNOME or KDE

3rd idea: Split Window Managers / Desktop enviorments out to a disc3.
Then, you simply download: ISO 1 and 2, and then make disc3 WM/DE
dependent.  You could download: fedora_core-disc3-KDE.iso  or
fedora-core-disc3-GNOME.iso

Again, please don't read this in as KDE bashing, I think KDE is pretty
nifty myself.  I've used it for years at a time.  I simply think
worrying about different desktops, divides an effort to truly move
forward.

The only reason I didn't suggest KDE was because Redhat^WFedora
currently defaults to Gnome.

Trae

--
Trae McCombs