Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Adam Debus rhl at reachone.com
Tue Dec 9 00:46:55 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Xose Vazquez Perez" <xose at wanadoo.es>
To: <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

>  o lighter web server. Apache is too big for basic web services.
>    Candidates : mathopd, thttpd, boa, fnord, ...

    This gets my vote as well, with the qualification that the basic web
server needs to be an option, not a replacement for Apache.

>  o a better syslog. syslog-ng has more options. It adds the possibility
>    to filter based on message contents using regular expressions. It's
>    more flexible, more secure and has better support for transport
>    logs through the net.

    +1

>  o lighter dns server, bind is too big for basic dns services.
>    Candidates: http://maradns.org http://powerdns.com ...

    See note for Apache...

>  o A good network monitoring program:
>    http://www.nagios.org http://www.opennms.org http://bb4.com

    We use Nagios here with much success...the only downside is that it can
be a bit difficult to setup the first time. A nice web configuration
interface wouldn't go amiss (One of these days, I might actually write
one...)

>  o really a minimal installation, there are too much packages in
>    the minimal installation and it takes a lot of space 490MB(rhl_9).
>    And with the possibility of don't install documentation with the
>    rpm option "--excludedocs"

    +1

Thanks,

Adam Debus