Default Applications (was: Fedora Core 2 wishlists)

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Tue Dec 9 03:39:46 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 08:43, Robert Marcano wrote:

> Make default applications configurable, for example instead of Mozilla
> Web Browser, call it Web Browser and allows the user to change it
> without messing around with the .desktop files

At least with the web browser, this already exists.

$ head -n 16 /usr/bin/htmlview
#!/bin/bash
#
# Invoke whatever HTML viewer is installed...
# Usage:
#       htmlview [URL]
#
# Changes:
# v2.0.0
# ------
# - Allow users to override default settings in
#   ~/.htmlviewrc and /etc/htmlview.conf.
#   Users can define X11BROWSER, TEXTBROWSER and
#   CONSOLE variables to indicate their preferences.
# - --remote and --local are deprecated, we don't
#   have any non-browser HTML viewers these days.
#

There is a GUI configuration tool for it -- gnome-default-applications-properties
The tool can be launched from "Preferred Applications" in the Preferences menu.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs