OpenOffice.org British thesaurus

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 04:05:52 UTC 2003

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 11:54:04 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> Is there a en_GB thesaurus for OOo?  I wasn't aware one existed that was
> freely distributable under LGPL/GPL, but if there is, please point me to
> it and I'll see what i can do.

Well I guess I just don't understand how a list of American words can be
free, but a list of British words is not.

You're right, after much Googling I couldn't find any OSS thesauruses.

The point is this, the functionality of OOo is compromised for British
users. OOo is one of the ambassadors of the Linux movement, and is often
used as an incentive for Windows switchers, but I guess if you're British,
the advise would have to be to stick to Windows if you want a thesaurus?

Sure, I could switch to Star Office, but then the whole point of using
Linux is to get away from proprietary/commercial software, surely.

Incidentally, who owns the copyright for the British Thesaurus used in
Star Office?

-
Keith