The Future of Fedora.

Nils O. Selåsdal nos at utel.no
Wed Dec 10 08:55:56 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 23:51, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> I am new to the Linux world, while I came from Windows XP world.
>
> I made it 2 weeks ago and still has some trouble here and there in
> getting parts of the new Fedora Core 1 to work.
>
> Anyway, I joined Linux, because I love open-source, I see Fedora as a
> fast-growing OS.
>
> Here, I will mostly focus on the Fedora Core 1 as a home operating
> system,
> because making linux available to everyone - means he MUST be easier.
>
> I am a Pro, and a Realist. I see a lot of advantages of Windows, (and
> of Linux) which many others linuxoid doesn't see.
>
> Still I had a lot of problems in installing (and running) Linux.
> Linux is way less comfortable to use than Windows XP.
> It's a VERY important point to understand in "The Future of Fedora".
>
> I just want to please the Fedora developers make the following things,
>   so this OS would be easier to manage for average home user.
>
> 1) Passwords: Linux MUST have an ability to work without passwords for
> those who desire it.
>    I hate passwords, especially on my personal computer.
>    It's a very BIG disadvantages of the Fedora Core 1 -
>    It requires at least 6 letter password.
>    Not to mention I msut create a user.
>    I want to work ALWAYS as a root. (like a do in Windows XP as
> Administrator by default)
>
>    Why a free system such as Linux FORCES me to create passwords, and
> a user.
>    Password may be a nice feature for servers, but for home PCs they
> are useless,
>    and they will just annoy beginners, and home users.
>    Believe me, there are other ways to be the same reliability and
> security,
>    without the annoying passwords.

Oh no. No no no. Enforcing a few simple rules like this is what will
make Linux more secure, less vunerable to viruses,worms, crackers etc.
Sure it's a bit more hazzle to type the root password every now and
then. Though no more hazzle than trying to restore your system after
you got cracked or infected.

--
Vennlig hilsen/Best Regards
Nils Olav Selåsdal