About Vera fonts (was: Fedora Core 2 wishlists)

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Wed Dec 10 09:14:34 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 22:18, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:40:03PM -0700, Dax Kelson wrote:
> > * A generic LDAP browser (GQ or something).
> > * Use Bitstream vera fonts by default
>
> This would need Vera updating to include symbols the rest of the world
> apart from Americans need.

Maybe a naive question, but wouldn't it be possible to fall-back to
another font when trying to display symbols unavailable in vera ? Or
make vera the default when you select a West European or American
timezone ?

Or a third possibility (maybe impossible for legal or technical reasons)
would be to add the missing symbols directly into the Vera fonts (by
copy/paste of the symbols from Nimbus). Is it a stupid proposition ?

I really love Vera fonts. Too bad they also lack an oblique serif font
(OpenOffice doesn't seem to support the fontconfig hack to simulate
oblique fonts).

--
Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>