Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Dec 10 16:28:05 UTC 2003

Once upon a time, Chuck Mead <csm at redhat.com> said:
> Why not just block this garbage at the smtp port and stop all this silly
> post-receipt processing? Postfix can do this!

Because that is not acceptable.  First of all, anyone that blocks email
to postmaster and abuse email is violating RFCs.  Second, not all of our
users want the same spam filtering; some opt out of Brightmail (which is
what I'm talking to with a milter) for example.  Brightmail works by
sidelining spam, so that if there is a false positive, the user can
fetch the message via a web interface.  Content based checks cannot be
done at the "smtp port"; you have to accept the message and then process
it.

Telling someone that what they are doing is "silly" is not exactly a way
to sway their opinion.

> RBL stuff works in postfix the same way it works in sendmail.

DNSBLs (RBL is a trademark and should only be used when talking about
the MAPS RBL) don't work by default in sendmail the way I described, but
I have my own sendmail rulesets that do, and it only took about a half
dozen lines (plus one for each DNSBL used to return an informational
error message specific to that DNSBL).

I'm not arguing that maybe sendmail shouldn't be the default; I'm just
tired of everyone bashing sendmail based on 5+ year old information.  I
do think if the default is changed it should be to a "queue/relay only"
SMTP server, not postfix, exim, or whatever.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>