MySQL client libraries licensing (was Fedora Core 2 wishlists)

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Wed Dec 10 17:49:26 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 13:08, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 03:49, Yovko Lambrev wrote:
> > Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > |   Completely wrong... where did you get this idea ?!
> > |   rpm -qa --queryformat '%{License}\n' | sort | uniq | wc -l
> > |      61
> >
> > OK! I'm wrong! It was hyperbolization... Sorry!
> > I just cannot accept that the reason to not include MySQL 4.x is the GPL
> > license...
>
> Lets try different words then. It is not becuase it is GPL software. The
> problem is that because it is GPL software many applications that
> 'embed' with it can not be used with it. PHP is one example because of
> its license isnt one that can be embedded into GPL items. Thus Fedora2
> could ship with MySQL-4. but it could not ship various php-mysql tie-ins
> as that would violate the licenses (or Fedora could ship with it and
> then open itself to lawsuits, bad press of violating licenses.)

I think that the real "problem" fall over the person that develops php
based software and is using MySQL, remember that the GPL does not
restrict you to distribute GPL licensed code with software that uses
other licenses, If you develop an application with php and mysql4 your
code must be GPL (unless you obtain a different license from the MySQL
developers)