Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Chuck Mead csm at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 20:04:36 UTC 2003

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Chuck Mead <csm at redhat.com> said:
>
>>inbound mail ----- > regexp/pcre at port 25 [pre-receipt match will bounce]
>

> I see - you do all your content checks in your MTA.  I don't, nor do I
> want to.  First of all, I use Brightmail, which is a separate software
> package/service for spam filtering.  Since I use milter to talk to it,
> I can run Brightmail on a separate server to spread the load around so
> the SMTP servers don't have to spend CPU scanning mail.
>
> Also, not all spam checks are just regular expressions; there are a lot
> of scoring techniques in use (you can score on the headers in sendmail,
> but sendmail doesn't look in the message body).  Brightmail also tries
> to decode some things spammers use to obfuscate URLs and such.

Yup... I understand what you're doing just fine. I guess the reason I
prefer this is two fold....

1. It puts the load on the sender instead of me.
2. Pre-recipt filters decrease the over all load on my machine which
allows me to process more mail per day.

One thing I think is useful is a blend of different techniques using
different MTA's and the best of their capabilities together to architect
an overall all mail system which is "best of breed" but that's going far
afield for Fedora and this discussion.

--
Chuck Mead <csm at redhat.com>
Instructor II, GLS