MySQL client libraries licensing (was Fedora Core 2 wishlists)

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 23:40:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 10:12:04AM +0200, Yovko Lambrev wrote:
> Fedora Core is GPL. All the software in Fedora Core 1 is GPL

Nothing of the sort. The collection copyright and the individual works
copyright is unrelated

> So...?
> We cannot put MySQL 4.x in Fedora collection because it is GPL but we
> will allow PHP which is not?!! Let's throw out the kernel also!? I just
> can't agree...

The kernel isnt a library linked with an app using incompatible licenses.
One is derivative work the other is mere aggregation

> Let's find a real solution... As far as I know there is no contacts
> between Fedora/RedHat community and MySQL developers. Why? I will inform

This is months old stuff. The php and mysql people are all quite aware of
the entire thing