Change default MTA was Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Dec 10 23:42:50 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Ronny Buchmann wrote:

> > This is still Unix, and MUAs,MLMS,etc. often still expect mbox. Lots of
> > existing programs don't support Maildir....
> Actually it's Linux (or GNU/Linux if you want) but not Unix.

No, that's my point. The only reason Linux is useful is because it's a Unix,
and can runs existing Unix applications. Many of those assume mbox.

Maildir has uses, just like Cyrus (which is better than Maildir in several
ways, IMO) has uses, but I don't think either should be the default because
there's a lot out there which doesn't support either

> What MLM needs a mbox for incoming mail?

The one I admin is listproc. It's not the only one though, just the one I
hate the most ;-)

later,
chris