Change default MTA was Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Dec 11 00:27:13 UTC 2003

Chris Ricker writes:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Ronny Buchmann wrote:
>
>> If MDA and MUA try to access it at the same time, you run into problems when
>> they don't agree on a locking scheme or when using NFS.
>>
>> Maildirs don't need locking.
>
> Not true. That's why what passes for the Maildir standard was revised
> earlier this year, after people found out the hard way that the "locking
> not needed" hype was losing their email....

I'm not aware of Bernstein doing anything like that.

If you're referring to adding milliseconds to the filename, nothing in the
revised naming convention requires any kind of locking whatsoever.  I'm not
sure where that notion came from.  Sounds like the usual suspects have been
spraying FUD again.

If you're referring to my work, then perhaps you should review my
documentation again.  You are mistaken in several, different ways.