The Future of Fedora

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Thu Dec 11 03:35:56 UTC 2003

Otto Haliburton wrote:
<snip>
> IMHO it is this kind of attitude that causes problems.  The object of all
> should be to put the best product out and the only way to do that is to
> point out its defect, some may choose to write bug reports others may try to
> describe the problem.  In any case the facts are out their irregardless of
> whether it is free or not.  Free is a term of art, something free can cost a
> fortune if it destroys something you value.....
<snip>
My attitude is toward the OP , not all new users of Linux and Fedora.

The overall tone of original poster is more critiscism than contribution.

For example:
"I am a Pro, and a Realist. I see a lot of advantages of Windows, (and
of Linux) which many others linuxoid doesn't see."

Denigrating term 'Linuxoid'

"4)Installation & Video: For a home users – there must be no big
problems in installing the FC on their PCs."

Completely unrealistic demand, especially considering that the problem
would be solved completely if certain manufacturors would (or could)
release completely open source drivers for their products.

"Why FC1 which was released in 2003 can't work natively with
multimedia keyboards and 5 or 8-button mice? Also I couldn't open
videos in any format in Linux: MPEG2, DivX, WMV, whatever I tried...
(maybe I don't know something...)"

Complaint, not description of problem. Does not consider the reality
facing Open Source OS's like Fedora - Too many manufacturors, creating
closed source drivers for their products. For every obscure, feature
rich monstrosity of a mouse with 5? 7? buttons, there must be at LEAST
one user of Linux that has access to it, and can create config files
to drive it.

I am all for description of problems, wish lists, etc, but I would
like to see less attitude, and more gratitude for what already exists.

My atitude is very good BTW. Keen to help, and actively helping,
greatfull for the contributions of thousands, and able in a small way
to contribute to development myself.

How about I put it another way :

I would prefer to see a well thought out, well informed description of
a problem, without resorting to colourful hyperbole, and paying due
regard to the confines of reality. In addition, I'd like to see what
has been attempted to fix it, and a request for assistance and more
information, instead of a monologue of complaint and unrealistic demands.

Cheers,
Michael