fedora-devel not up-to-date with fedora-yarrow-updates? (please fix)

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Thu Dec 11 19:45:09 UTC 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 01:07:21PM -0500, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:
> > These are in testing still.  Once they're out of testing, I don't see a
> > reason why they wouldn't end up in the development tree.
>
> That, at least to me, is confusing. I thought the idea was that stuff should
> go
>
> development -> testing -> release
>
> not
>
> testing -> released
>         -> development
>
> (I saw development as being less stable than testing)

There is testing for updates (these packages) and testing for the
distribution (the development tree).  In my mind, they *have* to be
separate trees if you want testing of updates to be useful.

Put another way, if you're testing an FC1 update, you test it for
deployment on an FC1 box with previously-released updates installed
because that's the type of system on which it will ultimately be
required to function properly.  You don't test an FC1 update on an FC2
development box, because environmental (in the general sense, not shell
variable) differences can invalidate the testing.

HTH,

Nalin