AMD64 Linux documentation

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Thu Dec 11 23:32:49 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 16:00, Gene C. wrote:
> The AMD64 systems are the only one currently supported by Red Hat that seem to
> have this bimodal capability (the Sparc is not supported any longer).  I have

Is there no SPARC version of Fedora?  Is that what you mean by "...the
SPARC is not supported any longer..."?

> no idea if the ppc64 or the s390z can concurrently run 32 bit applications.

As I understand it, Apple's G5 systems are capable of running both 64-
and 32-bit apps side by side.  The processor has all of the G4 32-bit
instructions.

The same should hold true for IBM's Power4 systems, as long as the
appropriate libraries were present for the applications, of course.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor