fedora-devel not up-to-date with fedora-yarrow-updates? (please fix)

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 14:41:39 UTC 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 01:07:21PM -0500, Chris Ricker wrote:
> That, at least to me, is confusing. I thought the idea was that stuff should
> go
>
> development -> testing -> release

Depends on what is being developed.  Sometimes a new upstream version
is being pulled in as an update to the release, and testing with an
eye to deployment in an update is the best way to get immediate testing.

Part of the development cycle is checking every package for needed
updates, but the focus of development shifts over time, and right
now the main focus of development is 2.6 kernel integration, so it
is not critical for package maintainers to build every new package
into development if the point of it is to be an update.  The updates
won't get lost, if that's what you are worried about.

> (I saw development as being less stable than testing)

Yes, quite true as the rule -- but that doesn't mean that packages
intended to be updates have to flow devel -> testing -> update.

It's the intention of the maintainer in each case that determines
where the package goes.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/