64-bit OpenOffice.org help wanted [Was: Re: AMD64 Linux documentation]

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 14:53:25 UTC 2003

Speaking (unofficially) for the OpenOffice.org project, we would
_greatly_ appreciate any help on making OOo 64-bit clean.  Some work has
been done but there is not much momentum at this time.  There is a
branch set up to accept 64-bit changes and the commit rules for it are
not very strict.

The main problems are identifying where 64-bit issues were not taken
into account, for example when the wrong types are used for variables
(an address passed in a sal_uint32 rather than a real 64-bit pointer
type), and the bridge code, which requires some knowledge of assembly
and the C++ ABI for the particular 64-bit platform.  There will likely
need to be back-and-forth on mailing lists with the original authors or
current maintainers of the code to see what their intentions with
certain variables were when the types are not clear.

If anyone is interested in helping out, and has or has access to the
required hardware (either Sparc64, Alpha, PPC970, AMD64, Itanium) on
_any_ OS, please either contact me or subscribe to
dev at porting.openoffice.org for pointers or more information.

Dan