SNMP detection of network printers

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sun Dec 14 12:47:00 UTC 2003

On Sunday 14 December 2003 05:18, Tim Waugh wrote:
> In 0.6.84-1, redhat-config-printer gained the ability to use SNMP
> queries to discover the make and model of a remote printer by name.
> The idea is that, during the 'add queue' druid, after entering the
> printer name on the JetDirect screen and clicking next the make, model
> and driver fields are pre-filled.  This already works for
> locally-connected printers whose IEEE 1284 IDs we know.
>
> Unfortunately there is only one SNMP sysDescr string in the foomatic
> database, so we could do with some more.
>
> When you run redhat-config-printer and add a JetDirect queue, you will
> probably see a message like this in .xsession-errors:
>
> Trying to match 'Xerox DocuPrint N40 Network Laser Printer'
> No SNMP match
>
> It would be useful to know these strings, along with:
>
> * the make and model of the printer (even if it looks obvious)
> * which driver works best
> * which other drivers also work
> * whether PCL or PJL is supported
>
> DON'T EMAIL THE LIST!  Email me personally, twaugh at redhat.com, or
> (even better) file it in bugzilla against foomatic.

I have not been doing anything with packages under "development" (rawhide) but
will give this a try.  Since there is stuff in development which is not ready
for prime time yet, I will be rebuilding the package on my system (just to be
sure everything is compatible).  Are there any other packages I need to pick
up out of development also ... such as foomatic?
--
Gene