Change setting of arrow keys for history in BASH (Fedora Core 2 Wishlist)

P at draigBrady.com P at draigBrady.com
Mon Dec 15 09:37:36 UTC 2003

Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Standard the up arrow and the down arrow are bound to "previous-history"
> and "next-history" respectively.
>
> I changed these to "history-search-backward" and
> "history-search-forward" respectively by adding the following to lines
> to /etc/inputrc
>
> "\M-[A":history-search-backward
> "\M-[B":history-search-forward
>
> If you have not typed anything on the prompt and use the arrow keys the
> behaviour is identical to the behaviour of "previous-history" and
> "next-history".

Yep I aggree with that as can be seen in the second point in:
http://www.linux.ie/old-list/49014.html

However I did have some problems with it:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2002-08/msg00128.html

Pádraig.