Change default MTA was Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Mon Dec 15 15:11:58 UTC 2003

Le lun 15/12/2003 à 15:36, =?ISO-8859-1?Q? Nils O. Sel=E5sdal?= a
écrit :
> On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 15:26, Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 03:31:47PM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > > In any case, your evidence is anecdotal, not proof.  It doesn't mirror
> > > my own experience.  I've moved two companies to Maildir style delivery.
> > > Both were previously using Slackware/Linux 2.0/sendmail/procmail.
> > > This combination was not only corrupting mailboxes, but corrupting the
> > > entire file system that the spools were on. (Damn Linux 2.0... Damn it
> > > to hell)
> >
> > A quick note: mailbox corruption is frequently caused by programs
> > disagreeing on how to properly lock a mailbox file.  This is problematic
> > because we currently have two methods for locking files, and they don't
> > interoperate.  More on that in fcntl(2), flock(2), lockf(3), and the
> > kernel's Documentation/locks.txt file.

> Is it _that_ hard changing applications to use lockf (or fcntl) ?
> To me it sounds like one could go through all mail applications in
> fedora and just make them use one of them (I'm guessing there is more to
> it that that...). Or is the problem more for 3.party apps/not shipped
> with fedora ?

You might as well audit for maildir compliance and move to a safer
format. The *only* argument for mailbox is "everything already works" -
if you have to check apps what's the point ?

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot