Automatically bringing ethernet interfaces up when the cable is connected (Fedora Core 2 Wishlists)

Jack Aboutboul jaboutboul at speakeasy.net
Mon Dec 15 15:58:32 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 20:44, Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:
> Also it would be interesting to have something like this for wireless
> networks. Maybe something like waproamd (haven't tried it yet, just
> found out about it while reading about netplug and ifplugd) so it would
> configure the wireless card depending on which AP it connects to.
>
> Jean-Rene Cormier

	What I think we need more than this are some patches to initscripts
that allow for 'network profiling.'  When the system starts up
networking, you will be presented with a menu that asks you which
network profile you want to choose, or whether you want to configure a
new profile.
	This is similar to what OS X has a "Locations."  Whereby you define
groups of network settings by locations, and then choose them easily.
This is a MUST for laptops, where you are constantly changing places and
need to switch between various wired and wireless networks.
	Right now, if someone has their default ESSID set to something other
than ANY, everytime you boot up in a foreign location with a different
ESSID, you have to wait until ethX times out and then go in and
configure it manually.
	You should be able to choose your network profile at boot.

Let me know,
--Jack