netplug [was Re: Automatically bringing ethernet interfaces up when the cableis connected]

David T Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Mon Dec 15 18:01:08 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 12:42, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 09:15, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
> > What's been discussed is the kernel natively exporting these
> > interfaces over dbus, and handling them that way.
>
> Who's this been discussed with?  I think, from experience, that the
> networking maintainers would have a fit if you tried to get them to talk
> dbus.  I can even outline the course of the flamage for you: "use
> netlink sockets, they're the one true way".
>
> I can certainly extend netplug to generate dbus events; that's no
> problem, fits entirely in userspace, and won't result in flamage from
> David or Alexey :-)
>
> How about decoupling it into a daemon that generates dbus events, and
> another daemon that listens for dbus events and performs sensible
> default actions?  That way, you get modularity, the ability to change
> the behaviour if necessary, plus a reasonable default behaviour.

The core networking code never will talk directly to dbus.  dbus would
talk to the kernel most likely via netlink.  It seems to me that having
dbus handle it directly would be a pretty good way to go.  Having daemon
after daemon after daemon gets ugly.  Besides, dbus would already have
the hooks for informing any number of other apps about link changes.  If
you really got courageous, you could dbus-enable Mozilla so that it
picks up new proxy settings or something.  All kinds of crazy stuff.