netplug [was Re: Automatically bringing ethernet interfaces up when the cableis connected]

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Dec 15 18:54:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 19:01, David T Hollis wrote:
> The core networking code never will talk directly to dbus.  dbus would
> talk to the kernel most likely via netlink.  It seems to me that having
> dbus handle it directly would be a pretty good way to go.  Having daemon
> after daemon after daemon gets ugly.  Besides, dbus would already have
> the hooks for informing any number of other apps about link changes.  If
> you really got courageous, you could dbus-enable Mozilla so that it
> picks up new proxy settings or something.  All kinds of crazy stuff.

You would probably want something more sophisticated sitting between
apps like mozilla and network interfaces from the kernel; for instance
some network connections may be served via userspace and others need to
be brought up by a dialer.

There was a good proposal on networking profiles on the freedesktop
mailing list here

 http://listman.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2003-October/msg00006.html

some time ago, but I don't know what happened since.

Cheers,
David