Change default MTA was Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Dec 15 23:52:01 UTC 2003

Chris Ricker writes:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>> in it.  I think that defaulting to Maildir, but doing nothing to remove
>> support for mbox, is clearly the best way to go.
>
> And I really don't think it's that clear. Being non-standard for little or
> no gain for most users (and losing the convenience of mbox) is not a win,
> IMO.

It's a good idea to periodically reevaluate what's “standard” and what's
not.  I can only think of two non-trivial mail applications that read mboxes
but not maildirs, and one of them has been obsoleted in as of RH9 (I think
it's gone from FC1, and it will be slowly dropped by all other Linux distros
over time).  Everything else either reads both, or just maildirs.

I don't think it's going to be long before maildirs are the norm, and mboxes
are viewed as a second fiddle.