2.6 kernel

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Tue Dec 16 16:15:29 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 11:03, David T Hollis wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 10:39, Gene C. wrote:
> > Given the problems I had trying to install the fc-development tree, I
> > thought I would give the 2.6 "test" kernel a try from
> > http://people.redhat.com/~arjanv/2.5
> >
> > However, there is a whole lot more there than just the kernel ... what is
> > necessary to run the 2.6 kernel on FC1?
>
> If you are installing from the current development tree, the 2.6 kernel
> is already in there as well as any auxilliary bits that are required.
> In the past, I found that the only thing I needed to update was
> modutils.  Everything else worked pretty well.

As I mentioned in a previous message, I was having problems installing the
development tree because the LBA disk parameters were not recognized
properly.  Although I am willing to put up with a lots of stuff testing
systems, I have no desire to just screw up my harddisks (even on a test
system).

 Since I suspect it is the 2.6 kernel and did not find anything in bugzilla
which could possible be this problem, I thought I would give the 2.6 kernel
from ~arjanv a try.

But there is a lot more there than just kernel + modutils ... such a
initscripts, device-mapper, etc.
--
Gene