upstream rpm specs (was Re: FC2 initial schedule posted

Marius Andreiana mandreiana at rdslink.ro
Tue Dec 16 17:54:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 21:55, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 02:35:05PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > I think you're making a bad mistake.  By encouraging the upstream
> > developers to automate RPM submission, you would substantially increase
> > the freshness of the updates you get.
>
> That's really not a major problem; when things just build from
> upstream, updating them isn't a problem.
it's a problem when upstream packages don't have a rpm .spec file
included.
Many applications not included in Fedora/RedHat don't have .spec files
in their releases. Also, rpms from rpm-based distros don't usually work
in Fedora as they have different file locations or different package
names for libraries.

Maybe Eric's proposal will get more developers to build and maintain a
rpm spec file with their applications.

--
Marius Andreiana
Galuna - Solutii Linux in Romania