Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Wed Dec 17 10:57:35 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 21:21, Brent Fox wrote:

> /me points to Fedora Core Objective #1 at
> http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html:
>
> "Create a complete general-purpose operating system with capabilities
> equivalent to competing operating systems..."
>
> In my opinion, targeting old machines with low ram is more of a
> special-purpose task and is outside the scope of Objective #1.  Seems
> like it would be better suited to a Fedora sub-project.

This is where you're greatly mistaken, and comments like this tend to
make people push Debian or Slackware for older machines (and their
servers.)

We should not get rid of the user group of folk with older PCs.
Developing countries will tend to use Fedora (since they can't afford
RHEL), and will usually have older hardware. These people tend to hear
of Red Hat, and will of course benefit greatly from Fedora. Don't chase
them away...

Vector Linux for instance runs on fairly old hardware. X in 16MB (or
24MB) of RAM. But that's a little off-tangent to this discussion.
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/