Excessive package interdependency

Paul Rensing paul.rensing at att.net
Wed Dec 17 15:44:47 UTC 2003

My current "pet peeve" about Fedora right now is the excessive amount of
unnecessary package interdependency. As specific examples:

redhat-artwork (0.88-1) requires:
	/usr/lib/qt-3.1

nautilus requires:
	gnome-vfs2-extras
	nautilus-cd-burner

To me, all of these are unneeded packages (for my installation, I mean).
I maintain lots of small (old) boxes for specialized purposes and the
few packages on them, the better (less maintenance, quick upgrades, less
cruft).

On these boxes, I don't run any Qt apps, yet I am forced to install qt
to satisfy the dependency.

Most of my boxes don't have CD burners, yet the nautilus dependency
pulls in nautilus-cd-burner, cdrecord, and mkisofs.

Many of these boxes have no need for SMB, yet nautilus pulls in
gnome-vfs2-extras.

I would like to see packagers (and developers) pay more attention to
these interconnections. Packages should only "require" what is really
needed to run; everything else should be optional.

Thanks for the good work.

	Paul Rensing
--
Paul Rensing <paul.rensing at att.net>