Nameing guideline for external kernel-modules in fedora(.us)

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Wed Dec 17 16:30:17 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 08:09:36AM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2003 11:57:54 -0800, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > This means no shared up and smp modules in the same package. Each
> > package has the modules that are needed by one and only one kernel
> > (which BTW is in its own package).
>
> It's like that currently. But with SMP and UP in a single package, it's
> impossible to pick the wrong one. The package just gets larger.

If you are going to do that, you may as well do what the freeswan
developers do and put every possible module in one package, then rely
on some init script to load the right one.

>From a packaging standpoint, I think it is considerably easier to just
make a separate package for each variation of arch and up/smp/etc.

Or we just convince Red Hat to include everything in the kernel
package so we don't have to worry about it.  ;-)

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/