Nameing guideline for external kernel-modules in fedora(.us)

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Dec 17 23:09:28 UTC 2003

> About upgrade functionality, I see the FC1 up2date has
>
>   pkgsToInstallNotUpdate[comment]=A list of provides names or package
>   names of packages to install not update
>   pkgsToInstallNotUpdate=kernel;kernel-modules;
>
> Ok, so this is sort of obvious.  But it may be a slight PITA: suppose
> kernel-module-foo-1.0-1 which "Provides: kernel-modules" is built for
> x.y-z kernel and installs modules somewhere under /lib/modules/x.y-z.
> Then, we discover a packaging bug in kernel-module-foo so it needs to be
> rebuilt bumping the release tag, or a new upstream version surfaces.
> When releasing the updated package without the kernel version changed
> meanwhile, *boom*, conflicts.
>
> Suggestions how this should be handled?

I'm not sure if I follow. The current kernel module naming proposal
(this thread) includes the full kernel version and release in the kernel
module name. I guess up2date should update those packages ("-U"), not
"install" ("-i") them.

I think I'm missing something.
-- Fernando