pine cone - Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Dec 19 02:08:51 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 05:02:16PM -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:
> >
> > This is where mutt fails miserably. It is too hard to configure and the docs
> > do a poor job of explaining how to config it. I have used pine for ~10 years
> > and I very seldom if ever have read the docs for it. Even with its warts it
> > just kinda works.
>
> Out of curiosity, what would you waént to configure mutt to do?
> Maybe we can help.

Well ok I will try to explain what I have. When I start pine it opens up
in my inbox. From there if I press the tab key I go to the first one of my
other folders that has 1 or more unread messages. It skips over any empty
folders. From there tab will take me to the next unread message or folder
that contains unread messages.  In addition each time I press tab any
messages that are marked for deletion are deleted and any read messages
are filed in the correct archiving folder. That way the incoming folders
only ever have new messages in them. In addition all of this is done via
imap. Someone said using mutt is like using vi. I am not sure I agree
since so far I have been unable to use mutt but I am typing this message
in vi. :-)

Hopefully the above makes sense if not let me know and I will try to clairify.

Oh btw I think pine calls what I tried to describe above "cruise mode".
I really like it and I have never come across another mua that works like it.

Cheers,