XFS in Fedora Core 2

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Dec 19 18:38:46 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 06:44, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 05:35:13PM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:

> > - will XFS support be included in the kernel?
>
> I expect so.

Excellent! Thank you! (also for the userland stuff)

Please don't turn on debugging, because then no one is really going to
use it, so there's no point in including it like that "to get more
testing" (it will probably not get much).

> > And finally, is there any reason to hide so cautiously the other
> > filesystems in the installer?
>
> Yes, the same reason we have always had!
> That doesn't mean it's inviolable, but the reason hasn't gone away.

One thing that could be done is to create a checkbox in the installer,
"Use other filesystems". Selecting the checkbox by the user will add the
other filesystems to the existing list.
Of course, a big warning message could be displayed when that happens,
like "these filesystems are not directly supported by Red Hat, go ask
their own vendors for support if anything happens, etc."

IMO, when compared to the current method (hiding the other FSes and
revealing them only through arcane boot flags), the checkbox method:
- works just as well to keep ultra-cautious users (or the ones with mere
average needs) in the Ext3-land
- works better for the more daring users (or the ones with more
demanding needs)
- does an overall better job of shedding light and informing everyone
about what's going on.

Note: i used the expression "other filesystems" not "experimental
filesystems". IMO, it is only fair to refer to them like that. They are
not "experimental" per se, the issue is not their own stability or
anything like that, it's the way they integrate in the Red Hat
environment and the fact that they are not supported by RH that's the
issue at stake.

Fairness... Not keeping the users in the dark... These are all nice
things. ;-)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/