Excessive package interdependency

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 22:10:26 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 09:49 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Well just remember when a group member is explicitely not
> selected/uninstalled. I know it's nice to force software on users so
> they can test it;) but I can tell you that from a user POV combing rpm
> -qa, removing stuff (-e --nodeps) and playing with --justdb to untangle
> the result is irritating at times.

How do you propose to track selection?  Also, originally selected
doesn't imply that it remains on the system.  A lot of people do the
basic install and then start removing things afterwards (ie, just what
you said) and so do you track that it got removed?  Otherwise, you get
things added back everytime you upgrade which is annoying (or would be o
me ;)

Cheers,

Jeremy