XFS in Fedora Core 2

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 23:15:20 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 10:38 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > > And finally, is there any reason to hide so cautiously the other
> > > filesystems in the installer?
> >
> > Yes, the same reason we have always had!
> > That doesn't mean it's inviolable, but the reason hasn't gone away.
>
> One thing that could be done is to create a checkbox in the installer,
> "Use other filesystems". Selecting the checkbox by the user will add the
> other filesystems to the existing list.

This is kind of crappy from a UI perspective.  Disk Druid already has a
cluttered enough interface.  Throwing more checkboxes in there isn't
going to help.  :)

[snip]
> Note: i used the expression "other filesystems" not "experimental
> filesystems". IMO, it is only fair to refer to them like that. They are
> not "experimental" per se, the issue is not their own stability or
> anything like that, it's the way they integrate in the Red Hat
> environment and the fact that they are not supported by RH that's the
> issue at stake.

But they are somewhat experimental and potentially unstable.  I'm not
saying it's the fault of their code at all, it's entirely possible (even
likely) that some other change in the Fedora kernel causes slightly
different semantics or timings such that assumptions that were made
originally in the code that are perfectly reasonable can't be taken
anymore.  Then again, maybe I'm just overly cautious when it comes to
things like filesystems where one mistake will cost you your data.

Cheers,

Jeremy