partitioning bug during install: RH8/9 FC1

Trae McCombs occy at occy.net
Mon Dec 22 04:51:17 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 22:39, David Kewley wrote:

> I generally install Windows first, so it gets the first partition.  Then I
> install RHL/FC.  Of course the Disk Druid doesn't touch the Windows
> partition during Linux install, so Windows stays [h,s]da1.

I rarely actually use windows, I just typically like to keep the
/dev/hda1 partition there in case I need to dump windows on it. With the
big drives one can get these days, it doesn't hurt to have 10 gigs
laying around doing nothing.

> If you could create the first partition before running the Linux install,
> that might do the trick for you.  If you don't want to install Windows
> first (why not? it works great for me), then perhaps you could use some
> other tool to create the first partiion before running the Linux install.

Yeah, what I have to do is a minimal install to /dev/hda1 and then
reinstall to /dev/hda2 and just mount /dev/hda1 as /windows at that
point.  Heh, not quite a nice solution.  The silly drive names shouldn't
change when you specify what you want them to be the first time around.
It's a bug for sure, but I think it's a RH/FC1 bug that needs to be
fixed.

> The Disk Druid partition ordering doesn't seem to be driven purely by size
> on my home RHL9 box (keep in mind that I created the NTFS & FAT32
> partitions before installing RHL9):

Yeah, if there is something on the disk, or partitions already
pre-existing, you are golden, as it won't touch data if there is
something there. I'm talking about completely free space on an unused
drive.

> > PS. Why did we stop including regular fdisk?  It's nice to be able to
> > use this tool from time to time.  Just put a button with "Experts Only"
> > or something and pop up a warning telling people they are entering a
> > world of hurt if they don't know what they are doing with the fdisk
> > tool.
>
> Not a big priority to me, but I'd like to see the return of fdisk during
> install, too.

*grin*  Nice to know I'm not the only one who misses it.