2.6 kernel patches

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Mon Dec 22 19:32:50 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 12:48, Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 17:07, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> > Please kill off CIPE for good. It is insecure. If you absolutely /must/
> > include a protocol with such limitations, at least pick OpenVPN. I say
> > that as a current user of CIPE who is in the process of switching.
>
> Yes...please, drop CIPE.  It is quite insecure.

Indeed.  Here is my suggestion for the announcment:

----------

Dear Fedora Core user:

Some time ago, we at RedHat selected CIPE as our standard VPN solution.
It had the advantage of being available.  We understand that many of our
customers have had to live with it's limitations.  In particular, the
fact that it will really only talk to other RedHat systems, and is not
compatible with the vast majority of VPN routers, or with MS Windows(tm)
clients and servers.  We also understand that due to this decision on
the part of RedHat, most of you are using CIPE to link your various
RedHat networks.  So it is with great sadness that we tell you that we
have decided to discontinue CIPE support as of Fedora Core 2, in favor
of IPSec.  We know that this will be another inconvenience to both
Fedora core users and to our paying enterprise customers, as new
installations will not be able to talk to previous ones.  However, we
also hope that you understand why we are making this move.  We see this
as a positive step in view of the fact that what we have been providing
as our VPN solution to buyers of both our consumer grade product as well
as our enterprise linux product has always been quite insecure.

Thank You for choosing Fedora Core.

How's that?