Permissions problem

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Dec 23 13:52:33 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 01:27:49PM +0530, Arvind Narayanan wrote:
> I'm running FC1. I have a problem which was there with
> RH7.x as well: The ownership of files like /dev/fd0 and
> /dev/dsp don't work correctly, i.e they continue to belong
> to the user who logged out earlier rather than the
> user who just logged in. Worse, this I am not able to
> deterministically reproduce this, it only happens sometimes.
> Any suggestions? Thanks

The ONLY time I've ever seen anything like this it has been by design:
the second user logs in before the first user logs out (on a different
terminal that is still considered to be the physical console) and there is
no "user stack" in the interest of enhancing security through simplicity
and avoiding confusing shifts in permission partway through a login
session.  But in this case it reverts to root, not the previous user.
Are you sure that the user doesn't have another login session at the
same time?  They are refcounted.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/