FC2 Whishlist: individual package selection during install

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Wed Dec 24 04:05:21 UTC 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 06:55, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Arnaud Abelard wrote:
> > > What about (re-)enabling the individual selection of package during
> > > installation like it used to be in the RH times?
>
> No, this is not going to happen.  The reasons have been archived for
> posterity multiple times.

Makes perfect sense to me.

> > I see little need for something like this.
> >
> > Maybe the real problem is that we need to make the groups in the
> > installer better
>
> Yes, this is a much much much much better idea.  Suggestions to that end
> would be great to hear.

At the risk of rehashing previous threads how about removing things like isdn
support, dialup networking, kernel-pcmcia-cs, irda-utils, wireless-tools,
vconfig, and yp-bind from a basic install. Why pcmcia, irda-utils, etc. is
included on anything but a laptop is beyond me. If these are needed why not let
deps pull them in instead of including them in a base install?
I can see the need for them if you have an isdn connection, a dialup modem,
or a laptop but I will bet the majority of systems built today do not need these.

Along the lines of the original subject what would be the chances of getting
back the old behavior of kickstart wrt dependencies. By that I mean when deps
are not satisfied in kickstart the installer used to stop and ask what you
wanted to do. Now it just prints fixme in the log and satisfies the
deps. Most of the time when deps are not satisfied by my kickstart file it is
because I have something in there I do not really want and this WAS an easy way to
identify the problem. Now anaconda just "Helps me" by adding the deps I do not want
with no easy way to troubleshoot the problem. One of the reasons I hate M$ is
because of this kind of help. :-(

Regards,