Cleaning up "Preferred Applications" & Desktop Consistency

Simon Perreault nomis80 at nomis80.org
Wed Dec 24 16:09:24 UTC 2003

On December 24, 2003 07:21, Warren Togami wrote:
> 13) In the name of end-user application consistency, Konqueror could use
> some extra key-bindings by default to make it behave like Mozilla.  The
> following do not conflict with current Konqueror defaults.
>
> CTRL-W   Close current tab.
> CTRL-+   Larger font.
> CTRL--   Smaller font.

Konqueror key bindings have been modified recently (ie. in the last week or
so) for reasons similar to your own. Discussion has taken place on the
kde-usability mailing list, so you should search the archives
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&r=1&w=2).

> Other common Mozilla keybindings conflict with already defined Konqueror
> bindings, and I really don't feel it is worth the emotional & political
> fight to ask that they change.

Some "unification" keybindings were decided against, because they were in fact
disrupting the unification of KDE as a whole. For eaxmple, CTRL-wheel was
proposed as a zoom control, like many other browsers do. But this was
rejected because in every Qt app, CTRL-wheel works like page up/page down.

The point is: you might be tempted to unify Konqueror with other browsers, but
don't forget that you will probably be breaking unification within KDE. So
your best bet is to CC: every change to kde-usability at mail.kde.org,
especially if the KDE community has any worth to you.

> Any active KDE developers here?  Could you please get these checked-in
> so it can be in KDE 3.2?  RH/Fedora will not apply this change, and we
> will only have it if upstream applies it.  Please confirm in a reply
> when it has been submitted.

This is a good policy. Check the current 3.2 configuration, I think has what
you want. If not, tell me what you need and I'll get kde-usability to discuss
it.

--
Simon Perreault <nomis80 at nomis80.org>
http://nomis80.org