initscripts: Can it restart a service automatically if one crashes?

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Dec 29 19:23:18 UTC 2003

dragonman at asiayeah.com (Tony Yat-Tung Cheung) writes:

> I am going to write an init script for a 3rd party application. I
> would like the application to restart itself automatically if it
> crashes or core dumps (up to a predefined limit). Does the current
> initscripts provide similar functionality?
> Thank you. Any idea?

The (very limited) LSB initconcept does not support this and you will have
to use more advantageous methods like minit[1] or runit[2]. 'supervise' from
djb's daemontools[3] might be an interim solution but it has a non-free
license and can not be distributed therefore. I do not know if there exists
a free implementation of it.

Enrico

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.fefe.de/minit/