Why still using Mozilla 1.4 and not 1.5

Peter Robinson peterr at opensystems.net.au
Tue Dec 30 09:14:55 UTC 2003

> At around the time of FC1 release there were known and demonstratable
> major problems with 1.5.  If you look at FreshRPMS list you will see
> complaints about 1.5 I believe from Dag's repository.  Also upgrading to
> 1.5 so soon before the release of FC1 would have wasted all of the
> months of QA testing done during the three Severn betas.  We KNOW that
> 1.4.1 is reasonably stable after the many months of testing.

I would agree with this.

> Blizzard has mentioned that we will skip 1.5 for now, and if 1.6 final
> proves to be stable it may become an update for FC1 at a later date.
> IMHO most people don't really need the improvements found in the more
> recent mozilla versions too.  If you do want those features however,
> nothing stops you from upgrading mozilla yourself.

I think 1.6 would be very worthwhile as it contains support for NTLM auth which a
lot of users (my users/clients at least) use as it allows them to use all those
nasty sites like Outlook web acces and most sites that run on MS products and use
authentication.

I know its allowed me to use three or four sites under linux that I could previously
only use with the dreaded IE

And its also due out any day now and hence will be able to be in there for the
entire beta peroid.

Peter