my thoughts on package management

david paeme david.paeme at belbone.net
Wed Jul 23 07:24:16 UTC 2003

Hello,

this is my first post on the redhat-dev mailing list, but I'd like to
share some ideas with you people, that might increase the ease of use
for redhat.

please be aware that this is my opinion, and I'm sure that your opinion
or comments will be appreciated!

(and don't shoot me for some stuff, because I haven't read the complete
docs on the site yet ;-)

here we go:

RedHat has made an excellent decision when using the RedHat-network
stuff... the update checker, so no comments there.

But on the other side, people that aren't used to Linux (in general)
will have problems installing/adding software. The rpm system is nice,
but If you can't find an rpm that's compiled for your exact system,
you're in trouble. And let's not forget the infamous dependancy hell!

So why not use apt-like system (I'll call it apt from now on)?
I know that there are probably a lot of arguments as why not to use it,
but consider the advantages:

It might be possible to have an installation version that is only 1 cd.
This can then only contain the basic system, window manager, and some
basic applications (if a system like knoppix can do this...). It is then
possible to use apt to get people to install applications, without
having to download 3 cd's in a row. (even with a graphical frontend like
Synaptic)

Also good about this, is that it can reduce debate about which packages
need to be included with the distribution itself, and which not. And
people will have 'official' redhat packages, for those that don't trust
third-party stuff.

What do you guys think?

bye,

David.