my thoughts on package management

André Kelpe fs111 at web.de
Wed Jul 23 07:52:01 UTC 2003

Am Mit, 2003-07-23 um 09.24 schrieb david paeme:

> So why not use apt-like system (I'll call it apt from now on)?
> I know that there are probably a lot of arguments as why not to use it,
> but consider the advantages:

or yum, which looks more stable to me.

> It might be possible to have an installation version that is only 1 cd.
> This can then only contain the basic system, window manager, and some
> basic applications (if a system like knoppix can do this...). It is then
> possible to use apt to get people to install applications, without
> having to download 3 cd's in a row. (even with a graphical frontend like
> Synaptic)

Nice idea, it is like Debian, Gentoo or *BSD but i see a problem: There
are still a lot of modem and ISDN (in Germany) users out on the net. For
those people it is impossible to use apt/yum etc. to install big things
like KDE or GNOME. They still need CDs/DVDs to simple install packages
without waiting for weeks until all packages are downloaded. I think
there must be a distro which has more than one CD.

regards André