Inclusion of cyrus-imapd and mimedefang

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Jul 23 17:58:55 UTC 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Dax Kelson wrote:

> > though there are, err, issues that need resolving on upgrades b/c of it
>
> I've seen this claim twice now.
>
> What are the "issues"?

Prior to this point, RHL has only shipped uw-imap. If you upgrade a server
using uw-imap, last I looked:

* both dovecot (Sys V init) and uw-imap (xinetd) were enabled, so you get
converted to dovecot whether you wanted or not

* clients have to be configured differently for uw and for dovecot, so after
the upgrade, you have to reconfigure all the clients (and then again if you
downgrade)

I've not bugzilla'd it yet b/c I've not had time to do a systematic look,
but at some point I will

> How does dovecot compare to courier-imap in:
>
> * memory/cpu consumption
> * performance
> * featureset

It's much better than courier in featureset, since it actually supports
mbox.  Performance / memory / cpu it's better than uw (but what isn't? ;-).
I can't say about courier b/c it's maildirs and, for lots of reasons, I'm
not.

later,
chris