Inclusion of cyrus-imapd and mimedefang

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Jul 23 18:32:25 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 13:58, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Dax Kelson wrote:
> * both dovecot (Sys V init) and uw-imap (xinetd) were enabled, so you get
> converted to dovecot whether you wanted or not

dovecot doesn't start by default any more (that was a bug :)

> * clients have to be configured differently for uw and for dovecot, so after
> the upgrade, you have to reconfigure all the clients (and then again if you
> downgrade)

If you've overriden client defaults, yes.  The subscription file is
annoying -- there's a simple way to have dovecot do that migration the
first time, though and it's easy enough to throw in.  I'm still hoping
Timo will make it a zero work thing soon, though ;-)

> > How does dovecot compare to courier-imap in:
> >
> > * memory/cpu consumption
> > * performance
> > * featureset
>
> It's much better than courier in featureset, since it actually supports
> mbox.  Performance / memory / cpu it's better than uw (but what isn't? ;-).
> I can't say about courier b/c it's maildirs and, for lots of reasons, I'm
> not.

Seems better in performance/memory than Courier for me with my lots of
mail.  And oodles better than uw imap.

Jeremy