cipe

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jul 23 19:39:37 UTC 2003

Moving this to the appropriate list:

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 23:27, Chris Ricker wrote:

> With cipe-1.5.4, if you do
>
> ./configure --enable-protocol=3 (or just ./configure)
>
> you get the exact same protocol in 1.5 that you get in 1.4. That
> interoperates with the cipe-1.4.x stuff RH ships currently
>
> If you do
>
> ./configure --enable-protocol=4
>
> you get the new protocol with all the new features. That doesn't
> interoperate.

Its a little more complicated than that in implementation. Specifically,
the following is true:

Cipe 1.5.4 has two different crypto algorithms (Blowfish and IDEA). They
are mutually exclusive in the code. In addition, the two protocol types
(3 and 4) are mutually exclusive in the code.

This means, to add it to the Red Hat Linux kernel as is, there would
need to be 4 directories with virtually identical code, simply to
account for all 4 possible modules. Headers cannot be shared in current
state.

In order to clean this up (one source tree generates 4 modules in full
build mode), the code would need a fairly massive rewrite (IMHO).

I came across all of this while dealing with Aurora. The big question
is: how does the RH kernel team feel about adding four new directories
to drivers/addon:

cipe3-bf/ cipe3-idea/ cipe4-bf/ cipe4-idea/

If they don't have a problem with doing that (I was planning on
encapsulating them within a single "cipe" directory), the patches I'm
doing for Aurora should work with RHL.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> SAIR LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Enterprise Architect :: http://www.redhat.com
Project Leader for Aurora Sparc Linux :: http://auroralinux.org
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot