Diskless workstations

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 24 00:28:22 UTC 2003

No we do everything via NFS at the moment. Using a big ramdisk would cut
into why all the machines have so much memory and CPU's. Basically the
idea is that all CPU cycles are local and all data is foreign. The
approach to this seems to follow either SGI or Sun ways of doing
diskless clients. I like the Sun way of doing it (with each client
getting its own tree) versus the SGI where most is common with the
server and clients need a rebuild if server code changes.