Diskless workstations

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 24 18:09:30 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 11:12, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Stephen Smoogen wrote:
>
> >Is it is simple to rename .snapshot to soemthing else. The NFS server is
> >a netapp :)
> >
> Not really sure what you are asking.  /.snapshot is a directory on the
> client that mounts a client specific directory on the server.  The
> server directories could be on a netapp server, but you would then have
> the problem of upgrading over NFS.  One other solution would be to have
> a Diskfull machine that you could upgrade and the rsync to the netapp
> server.

The main reasons were to try and do as much over NFSv3 with TCP as
possible. We have found that the clients (400+ workstations) perform
much better when we put as much on a netapp as possible and mount things
as v3-tcp when possible.

Sorry for not saying that earlier.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645 (note new #)