AMD 64 support

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Mon Nov 3 21:24:19 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 02:03:49PM -0700, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> RedHat employees have said they openly encourage people to port Fedora to
> other architectures.  So the fedora community can take Fedora where they
> want it to go; but RedHat likely won't act as the catalyst for things like
> an x86_64 port.  All understandable, its just frustrating in that they've
> obviously done the required work; and they are perfectly content with
> having the Fedora community duplicate that effort of formalizing 64bit
> library and 32bit library coexistance and so on.  For all I know RedHat
> will weigh in and advise on such decisions.

There is no great hidden magic here.  There are x86_64 package builds
in Rawhide, and the RHEL base is available as SRPMS.  Sure, a lot of
work went into getting multi-arch to function properly in RHEL, and
the fruits of that are already available to you.  To really contribute,
one will have to read and understand first, and the code is there for
you to peruse. Perhaps someone has thrown together a whitepaper on
multi-arch support.  Or you can start by looking at the changelogs,
patches, and spec files for things like gcc, binutils, gdb, glibc, rpm, etc.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky